Located in Hautes-Alpes (South-East of France), Briançon is a military city built at an altitude of 1,326m at the intersection of five valleys. In 1692, Vauban drew a layout to improve the existing fortifications and equipped the town with many garrison houses in order to reassure the population and anticipate potential attacks. The engineer’s recommendations were implemented between 1713 and 1734 and several defensive works were built (Fort de Randouillet, Fort des Tois-Têtes, Fort Dauphin, Redoute des Salettes).
This room of 15.4m² is based on the second floor. It offers an unobstructed view of the Place de la Révolution, Musée des Beaux-Arts and Labourée’s fountain dating from the 19th century.